Walking daily can provide many health benefits including weight loss, improvement in your mood, increased energy, and even enhanced digestion. But the question is just how much should you be walking each day to start seeing these benefits.
- Sedentary: Under 5,000 steps is considered inactive and indicates you are doing too much sitting
- Low Active: 5,000-7,499 steps is considered low activity. The average American walks between 5,900 -6,900 steps, putting them into this category
- Somewhat Active: 7,500-9,999 steps is considered somewhat active which means you are doing some walking or exercising
- Active: 10,000 steps is considered active, and is where you want to be
- Highly Active: 12,500 steps or more is considered highly active and is a good goal for anyone struggling and needing a little extra help to lose weight
So a good daily walking goal is at least 10,000 steps per day. But, for some people this may seem like an impossible task. With many of us spending most of our days sitting at a desk, it can be difficult to find time to get in 10,000 steps. Here are some simple ways to help you achieve that goal:
- Walk the dog- Dogs need lots of exercise just as humans do, so taking the dog for a walk is a great way to benefit you and your pet.
- Cook dinner- Instead of going to a restaurant and sitting, try cooking at home. Cooking in the kitchen allows you to get some exercise while you’re preparing a meal.
- Walk to lunch- During your lunch break from work, try walking somewhere and grabbing a bite to eat instead of eating at your desk.
- Bring a friend- Inviting a friend to walk with you can make walking seem a lot easier. You may find it more enjoyable when you have someone by your side to talk to.
- Take the stairs- Instead of taking the elevator wherever you go, try taking the stairs. Walking up and down stairs is a great way to gain some steps.
- House or yardwork- There is always something to do around the house and doing housework or yardwork is another great way to gain steps.
- Park far away- Try parking in the back of the parking lot instead of right next to the door. This allows you to get many more steps in while completing daily errands.
Try following these simple tips to increase your daily step count and start living a healthier life!