- Apr 20 2023
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- We Thrive Together
Cooking with Heidi
Join Heidi and learn to cook something new each week. The recipe for this week can be found below. Please RSVP through our website at www.WeThriveTogether.org, by email at alyssa@WeThriveTogether.org, or by phone at Toll Free: 1-866-584-5640.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
1 1/4 cup butter softened and divided
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
12 slices fresh or canned pineapple
12 maraschino cherries no stem
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 2/3 cups cake flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
whipped cream or ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a non stick metal 13 x 9 inch pan with baking spray.
- On the stove top in a small saucepan, melt together ½ cup butter with 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar. Cook just until combined then remove from the heat and spread into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange the pineapple slices on top and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each slice.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the remaining ¾ cup butter, sugar and vanilla
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour.
- Spread batter evenly over the pineapple slices. The batter will be thick.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter.
- Leave the pan on top for a couple of minutes to allow all of the caramel to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.