- Apr 27 2022
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- We Thrive Together
Cooking with Heidi
Join Heidi and learn to cook something new each week. The recipe for this week can be found below. Please RSVP through our website at www.WeThriveTogether.org, by email at alyssa@WeThriveTogether.org, or by phone at Toll Free: 1-866-584-5640.
Sloppy Joe and Cornbread Casserole
- 1 can of Manwich Sloppy Joe mix
1 lb lean ground beef
- ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 5 oz Jiffy cornbread mix 1 box
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
Things You’ll Need
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8×8 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Saute ground beef, onion, and bell pepper in a skillet over medium heat until the ground beef is browned and the onion is soft and translucent. Drain the excess fat/liquid.
- To the ground beef mixture, add garlic powder, yellow mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste, along with 1⁄2 cup water. Mix thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sloppy joe mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Whisk together cornbread mix, egg, and milk until combined. Spoon over the top of the sloppy joe mixture and carefully spread to cover the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown.